Certified Bed Reader...

...willing to go all night!
Fragile - Shiloh Walker [a:Shiloh Walker|96909|Shiloh Walker|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1317604517p2/96909.jpg] doesn't skimp on the romance or the suspense in one of my all-time favorite books, Fragile! I read this book a few years ago and, since, pick it up ever so often for a reread.

Ex Army Ranger turned doctor, Luke, can't keep his mind off the pretty redheaded social worker, Devon, who brings abused children into his ER. It's a rocky beginning for our H/h. Luke is dealing with emotional and physical scars and Devon has a seriously tortured past that's caused her to put up some pretty high walls. Luke is a strong hero, though. He's steady, gentle, and really spends time wooing her. He works so hard to overcome her emotional barriers and gain her trust; never pushing her and letting her set the pace of their relationship. One of my biggest pet peeves is when the characters with traumatic pasts are depicted unrealistically. That doesn't happen here at all.

Devon is a survivor. The unthinkable things she suffered pushed her to become a person who refuses to sit on the sidelines. She isn't perfect and made plenty of mistakes on her journey, but ultimately she learns to use all that pain productively as a social worker. Devon embodies what all heroines should be like; strong, caring, determined, and smart. She's the perfect match for Luke's absolute sexy, tender, passionate, protective, and loving nature. I must admit to rereading this book sometimes just to fall in love with Luke again!

The suspense aspect of Fragile is gripping and terrifying! Devon's already been through so much in her life that "seeing" more happen to her is gut-wrenching. At times I wasn't sure I could keep reading because I could feel her pain and confusion. The highs and lows will wreck havoc on your emotions as they did Devon's.

I only wish there'd been an epilogue to round out the story. After all the suspense, I needed a bit more happy. My complaint isn't enough to warrant lowering my rating because it really is one of the best romantic suspense books I've ever read!